Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:04:20 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        me@tartufo.muc.ditec.de (Michael Elbel)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP 35480A help needed

On Mar 19, 13:47, Michael Elbel wrote:
} > } Since the HP35480A is a DDS-1 drive, it won't read/write 120 meter tapes.
} > } You need a HP C1533A for that. I've not managed to write 60 and 90 meter
} > } tapes on one of these under FreeBSD though although it *should* work.
} >
} > My HP C1533A reads and writes 90m tapes just fine ...
} >
}
} Very interesting. I can read old 60 and 90m tapes fine. As soon as I try
} to write to one of them, I get:
}
} Mar 19 13:43:17 wiley /kernel: st0(ahc0:4:0): DATA PROTECT asc:30,0 Incompatible medium installed

Ok. That are most probably old 90m tapes, which
don't have the MEDIA RECOGNITION SYSTEM lead in.

If they are true DDS DAT tapes, then you can
disable MRS and this way enable writing onto
those tapes ...

MRS was designed to protect against erronous
writing on Audio DAT tapes ;-)

Regards, STefan