Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 01:02:11 -0800
From:      "Reginald S. Perry" <reggie@aa.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Reginald S. Perry" <reggie@aa.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers

    Doug> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Reginald S. Perry wrote:
    >> This is rather curious. I went to
    >> http://www.dandelion.com/Linux/ and saw this:
    >>
    >> Linux BusLogic Driver -- FlashPoint Support Now Available

    Doug> Thanks for the update Reginald!  I've forwarded this
    Doug> information to the FreeBSD SCSI mailing list were the proper
    Doug> people should get on this.

This is good. Glad that I could help.

    Doug> Well, if we decide to develop FP drivers (this is up to the
    Doug> SCSI Powers That Be), it'll be quite a while before they're
    Doug> written and sufficiently tested to go out into public
    Doug> release.

    Doug> In the meanwhile, earlier BusLogic models, most Adaptec, and
    Doug> NCR/Symbios based cards (NCR/Symbios sample boards, ASUS
    Doug> SC-200, Tekram (??)) are all supported very nicely I might
    Doug> add.  (To plug the NCRs: They can be had for ~$100-120 and
    Doug> perform just as well as the Adaptecs.  I have one in my box
    Doug> driving 2 quad speed CDROMs and it works like a champ.  The
    Doug> driver in 2.2-BETA crashes for some reason, but backing it
    Doug> up to the -ALPHA level works fine.)

I will keep the NCR cards in mind. I think I will have to lurk on the
mail lists for a few months more before I will be able to decide
exactly what to put in the system. I just started using FreeBSD last
month so I want to play with the system some more before I even start
thinking about using the beta versions or keeping current and
such. :-)

-Reggie