Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 00:24:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Iozone: local vs nfs drives

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >> Did you have tagged-command queuing enabled?  According to my tests,
> >> that will make a BIG difference, if you have decent drives.
>
> >	I don't know...I haven't enabled it manually, so I would assume
> >not.
> >	How do I check/enable it?  Any caveats I should worry about?
>
> Put "options AHC_TAGENABLE" in your kernel config file, and rebuild
> (this is on NetBSD, anyway, but it's the common code written by Justin
> Gibbs).
>
> Caveats?  My NetBSD box has been running a ccd for about two months
> striped across two drives, with this enabled (and the drives do
> support tagged command queuing, yes).  This is on NetBSD-current
> (1.2), using the "common" AHC driver.  No bad things have happened,
> yet. :-)

	Okay...to me, AHC_ brings to mind the Adaptec code...I'm using
one of the ASUS SC-100 PCI controllers for my drives, so just want to
confirm that this will work similar here?

	And, you mention "the drive supporting tagged command queueing"...
how does one determine that?  What if some of my drives do, and some don't...
will it get disabled altogether as a result, or...?

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org