Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 00:23:39 +0200
From:      Jochen Solbrig <jochen.solbrig@urz.uni-heidelberg.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   error in source code while updating to 4.0

Hello!

While updating from 3.3 to 4.0 stable I noticed the following errors:
(actually, at first I only read the make world tutorial but not
/usr/src/UPDATING. I ran into trouble and finally had to restore
the whole system from backup...)

ok, here the errors:
first, make buildworld stopped and reported a parse error in
something/mtree/excludes.c. I looked into this file and found the following
"C"-code:

[snip]

static const char rcsid[] =
  "$FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/mtree/excludes.c,v 1.1.2.2 2000/05/16 16:45:34 wollman Exp $";
  "$FreeBSD: src/usr.sbin/mtree/excludes.c,v 1.1.2.2 2000/05/16 16:45:34 wollman Exp $";

[snip]

I deleted the second line and restarted with "make buildworld -DNOCLEAN".

Later I had some trouble with MAKEDEV and some other minor problems.

The make buildworld process stopped at an error with install-info which
complained about an unrecognized option. This was funny because I
installed install-info from the gnu texinfo sources before, according to
/usr/src/UPDATING. In the mailinglist archives I found the hint that I
should copy install-info from /usr/obj/something to /usr/bin. This was
successful and I completed the update finally.

Bye,

Jochen