Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:23:18 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>, dleimbac@earthlink.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RUBY???

Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org> types:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, David Leimbach wrote:
>
> > What is ruby and why are there so many ports for it...
> >
> > I assume its some kind of language but I have to say that in the Linux circles
> > I used to inhabit that I never saw much about ruby...
> >
> > Is it a general purpose language like Python???
>
> Ruby is a fully object oriented scripting language.
> It has quite a following but is rather new to the US.
> It got it's start in Japan about 5 years ago.
>
> For myself, I consider it a Perl replacement and I use
> it both professionally and personally.

I've looked at it a couple of times, but not switched to it from
Python - which I use as a Perl replacement both professionally and
personally. I'd add that it seems like Python with syntax drawn from
Perl or C instead of Python. The OO integration seems to be better
than either Perl or Python, but not enough better than Python to cause
me to put up with the syntax. If you like Perl's syntax but would
prefer something where OO was a more fundamental part of the language,
you might want to look at it. Likewise, if you've been driven away
from Python by the syntax, you might want to give Ruby a look.

One of the more interesting things is port that imbeds python in ruby,
allowing you to use Python modules from Ruby.

	<mike