Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:15:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@stretch.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com>, lenzi@cwbone.bsi.com.br, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xhost

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Khetan Gajjar wrote:

> How would they do this ?

	If your server is openly accepting connections from remote
clients, all they need to do is write a program that connects to your X
server and requests a copy of each keypress event.  It does not need to
have a visible window on the watched server, so it may not be obvious that
it is happening.  As an example of how bad this type of security hole can
be, I once took the sources to xev, a stock X utility, and commented out
about 90% of the code.  All I left in were the bits about keypresses.
This was sufficient to demonstrate that I could save to file, text that
wasn't even echoed on my friends _remote_ display, e.g. a password prompt.

> BTW, I run xdm from my rc.local
>
> Should I be doing it from ttys ? If so, how ?

	I doesn't make a difference here.  Remote users do not have access
to your /dev/tty* files.  It is open access to your X server that is the
problem.  This is a nice example of a transitive security problem.  (If I
can't read your keyboard, I'll talk to something that can.)

cheers,
	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
System Administrator                 --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine Labs       -->>| For an application and information
Member: League for Programming Freedom   ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/