Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 14:39:55 -0600
From:      "Jason Hudgins" <jasonh@cei.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Good backup hardware for FreeBsd?

>I'm in a similar situation. What happens for you is that the tape has
>reached the end (my guess; I get write errors when I reach
>end-of-tapes), and is trying to tell you this on the tty; "fopen on
>/dev/tty" means that it cannot talk to a console, probably because
>you're running it from cron, or detached the dump process from the >tty.

I don't think this is the case, because some of the time it actually works,
just
not often.  And it dies at random times, sometimes at say 25% sometimes at
85%, ...etc...etc.

>AFAIK, you can't run dump from cron, at least not directly. (I'd like to
>hear from you folks! How do you make automated dumps?) Dump needs >user
interaction when an error or end-of-tape occurs, or it will get
>suspended or fail.

Again, I've gotten it to work from cron, though I've never tried to call
dump
from cron directly.  My cronjob calls a perlscript that first rewinds the
tape, and
then does a dump of /usr to /dev/nrst0.  The perl script redirects the
output
of dump and logs it into a PostgresSQL database, which I then can
examine from some web pages.. Its a pretty nice setup, but then again, I
only get a successful backup about 15% of the time.  When I originally
had it setup, for the first two weeks, it was working 100% everyday, but
then it started failing, and now it hardly ever works.  I use a different
tape every day of the week, and they are 4 gig cartridges.  My whole /usr
filesystem maybe has about 2 gigs of data on it..

>What does your dump command look like? If your tape can swallow no more
>than 2GB, you've reached the end-of-tape. Using the B option, yuo can
>tell dump about the tape lenght, and get "tape-end" instead of
>"write-error". If you expect hardware compression, are you sure it is
>switched on? Probably not?

something like this, (from memory)
dump -0uf /dev/nrst0 /usr

I'm not opposed to purchasing new backup hardware if anyone has any solid
suggestions.  Of course I still haven't completely determined if its a
hardware
failure, but that my best guess..

Jason