Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 15:02:24 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Junior Kernel Hacker Project: NOTES

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 04:01:29PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> Currently we only have a NOTES file (which contains many MD options and
> drivers) on i386, so we don't get to do LINT compiles on other arch's very
> easily.  A very simple solution that doesn't involve much in the way of config
> magic would be to split NOTES up into two pieces.  All of the MI drivers and
> options would live in sys/conf/NOTES.  All of the MD drivers and options would
> live in sys/<arch>/conf/NOTES.  Each sys/<arch>/conf/Makefile would contain a
> LINT target.  Building LINT would be similar to the way that is done now,
> except that both sys/conf/NOTES and sys/<arch>/conf/NOTES would be concatenated
> to form the input for the perl script.  Also, the perl script should likely be
> moved to sys/conf so there is only one copy of it.

Actually, with FreeBSD moving to more and more arch's, is there any
interest in rearranging the sys tree into something more like
{Net,Open}BSD with a sys/arch directory? This would be pretty painful
to do and probably take a _lot_ of repo surgery, but it might be
something useful in the long run. And it doesn't hurt to stay closer
to the other BSD's.

(Just askin', not proposin'.)