Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 13:47:20 -0700
From:      "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        "Walter Hop" <walter@binity.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: How to keep a process from eating >n percent CPU?

> As a matter of fact I am now using nice(1), I only wished there would be
> a means of controlling this in a more "fine-grained" method. For one, I
> would love it if I could impose a limit of 90% CPU on Apache, so that if
> for example a runaway CGI script started doing weird things, admins
> would still have a (greater) possibility to be able to log on the shell
> and fix stuff in a proper fashion (i.e. not waiting 30 seconds for the
> output of `ps' to appear).

That's pretty odd. What are you nicing it to? I've found that nicing things
very high will instantly transfer processor power to other processes that
need it, no matter how much the runaway process is using. Try using a higher
nice value and see if it allows quicker response when things get hairy.

-Bill