Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 18:20:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "F. Even" <freebsdlists@elitists.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Default ssh protocol in -STABLE [was:

On Sun, 7 Jul 2002, F. Even wrote:

> Really?  I seem to have noticed the introduction of a "periodic.conf"
> between 4.0 and 4.4.  While it was pleasant to see it, it was still a
> change.

A) I'm still categorically opposed to /etc/defaults/anything... I think
it's way too dangerous a toy to play with.

B) They actually did things fairly well with the periodic thing, in that
the default configuration did *exactly* what the old, non-configurable
scripts did.

In short, you're confusing "method of instituting policy" with "policy."
It's sometimes ok to change one, it's never ok to change the other.

> If I'm understanding right, this change is not going to be introduced into
> "RELENG_4_ver,"

You are not understanding right.