Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:58:12 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kern/41227: Serial port IRQs cannot be shared when they should be

I'm the originator of the patch in this PR.  The patch allows FreeBSD to
work with some USR/3Com PCI modems that share IRQs with other system
devices.

From the PR:

> Synopsis: Serial port IRQs cannot be shared when they should be
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: njl
> State-Changed-When: Fri Aug 23 17:42:14 PDT 2002
> State-Changed-Why:
> Have you discussed this on -hackers or -current?  There are reasons that
> RF_SHAREABLE is not enabled in sio (in both -current and -stable).
> The patch is not complete.

Can anyone enlighten me on the reasons for this?  The user of the patch has
experienced no problems using his PCI modem (sio) concurrently with his USB
printer (ulpt) when both devices share IRQs.

--
Matt Emmerton