Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 13:37:19 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, ru-freebsd-doc@freebsd.ru, freebsd-translate@ngo.org.uk, hanai@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RU-DOC] FDP Directory Reorganization

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 09:13:20PM +0900, Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> Nik Clayton wrote:
> > People seem to be agreeing that <lang>.<encoding> is the way to go, and
> > I'm happy to follow that, particularly based on the contents of
> > /usr/share/locale.
>
> Of course, when we specify some localized environment, <lang> is not
> enough, <lang>.<encoding> is better thing.
>
> But Japanese encodings such as EUC-JP, Shift_JIS and JIS are easily
> machine-convertable.  I don't know of such thing about Chinese
> encodings.

OK.  All this means is that we only have one Japanese directory, ja.EUC.

Just because the Japanese (or any other language) only has one encoding
at the moment doesn't mean that we don't need to specify the encoding.

We do, because at some point in the future the "default" is going to
change, and everything that assumes one default is going to get it wrong.

Basically, I don't want some directories to contain versions for different
encodings, and others just to assume one encoding.  We either let all
languages be represented with multiple encodings, or we have one encoding
per language, and leave it at that.

The latter choice is too restrictive, so we need to let every language be
represented with different encodings.  Even if some (most) of those
languages are currently only represented with one encoding.

> So we should not maintain three "contently same but different encoding"
> texts in CVS repository.  It is waste of disk space and human resource.

100% agreed.

    There's some milk in the fridge about to go off. . . and there it goes.