Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 15:30:30 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Dennis Tenn <dstenn@fanfic.org>
Cc:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntp messages in new build

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980220113342.2175C-100000@fanfic.org> Dennis Tenn writes:
: | Feb 20 15:34:16 uranus xntpd[16462]: Previous time adjustment didn't
: | complete
:
: All it means AFAIK is it couldn't connect to the time server to update the
: clock.  This happens on my system too and you shouldn't worry about it.

No.  That's not quite right.  It means that the last adjustment (via
tickadj) didn't finish slowly skewing the clock before the next one
was requested.  I've seen this mostly when there is a largish offset
at the start.  You can ignore these messages if you have a couple, but
thery may indicate something wrong with your hardware (or that of the
time server) if you get lots of them.

Warner