Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 21:43:54 -0700
From:      Blaine Miller <bmiller@coastside.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   When is ISO 9660 NOT ISO 9660???

--B_3111774235_2038407

Hi!

I've all but given up trying to get this puppy worked around. I have ftp'd
down the freeBSD ISO image files six ways to Sunday over the past few months
and can NOT get a bootable CD from any of them.

In a nutshell, I burn the image files on CD in my Apple Powerbook G4 667
with the Internal CDROM/RW/DVDROM drive. I make sure it's formatted for
ISO-9660 only, NOT HPFS/9660 as I had trouble with this "default" before.

The resulting CD's are read-able and the byte count is right... but the
danged CD won't boot in my Wintel box CDROM.

I know this is not a lot of info, but is it something simple like the way
I'm not holding my head?

Do I have to pop for either the "boxed set", a CD/DVD burner for the Wintel
box, or should I find another BSD variant that supports both the Wintel and
APP(C)le platforms?

All I want is a UNIX that I can run on both. And dual-boot over to the
Microsloth or OSX environment if I have to.

Looking for guidance...

THANKS!

Blaine

--B_3111774235_2038407

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>When is ISO 9660 NOT ISO 9660???</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Hi!<BR>
<BR>
I've all but given up trying to get this puppy worked around. I have ftp'd =
down the freeBSD ISO image files six ways to Sunday over the past few months=
 and can NOT get a bootable CD from any of them.<BR>
<BR>
In a nutshell, I burn the image files on CD in my Apple Powerbook G4 667 wi=
th the Internal CDROM/RW/DVDROM drive. I make sure it's formatted for ISO-96=
60 only, NOT HPFS/9660 as I had trouble with this &quot;default&quot; before=
.<BR>
<BR>
The resulting CD's are read-able and the byte count is right... but the dan=
ged CD won't boot in my Wintel box CDROM.<BR>
<BR>
I know this is not a lot of info, but is it something simple like the way I=
'm not holding my head?<BR>
<BR>
Do I have to pop for either the &quot;boxed set&quot;, a CD/DVD burner for =
the Wintel box, or should I find another BSD variant that supports both the =
Wintel and APP(C)le platforms?<BR>
<BR>
All I want is a UNIX that I can run on both. And dual-boot over to the Micr=
osloth or OSX environment if I have to.<BR>
<BR>
Looking for guidance...<BR>
<BR>
THANKS!<BR>