Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:23:08 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Usselmann.M@gmx.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: binary upgrade 3.2 - 4.1 failed - file system full

> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 11:42:25 +0300
> From: Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
> To: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: binary upgrade 3.2 - 4.1 failed - file system full

> #>I tried to upgrade my 3.2 system to 4.1 (with boot floppies from the
> #>4.1 CD), but got a file system full error near the end of the copy of
> #>the bin distribution. The new kernel could not be copied as well.

> #>I can not any longer log on to the system, which boots into single
> #>user mode. kernel.old gets loaded and /bin/sh abends.

> Good that it boots. BTW was that an upgrade or a reinstall? You must
> have been doing it the windows way ;-) These guys here advice otherwise.
> If you check www.mostgraveconcern.com you'll find info on upgrading 3.x
> to 4.x

I used the upgrade option.

> #>Is there any way that I can mount the / file system in order to delete
> #>some files so that I can retry the upgrade?

> Yes.
> mount -u /
> mount -a -t ufs

But how do I get a command line to enter this? As I said before, I can not
log on because the shell fails (probably because most of the binaries are
already new, but kernel.old is loaded).

Is there a way to get a command line when booting with the install
floppies?

Thanks,
  Manfred

--