Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:01:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD panic with umass

here are a few pointers when you look at the linux driver:

several devices in linux/drivers/usb/storage/unusual_devs.h have the quirk
flag: US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY. in the same directory, searching for
USB_FL_FIX_INQUIRY yields the following in usb.c:

/* Handle those devices which need us to fake
 * their inquiry data */
if ((us->srb->cmnd[0] == INQUIRY) &&
    (us->flags & US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY)) {
        unsigned char data_ptr[36] = {
	0x00, 0x80, 0x02, 0x02,
	0x1F, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00};

	US_DEBUGP("Faking INQUIRY command\n");
	fill_inquiry_response(us, data_ptr, 36);
	us->srb->result = GOOD << 1;

So unless I'm reading it wrong, this device can't respond to a basic
inquiry :-P

Ken