Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 10:58:20 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Brian Vawter <bvawter@psnw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: motherboard or processor too new?

> Brian Vawter wrote:
>
> Last week I purchased The Complete FreeBSD with CD-ROM set. I have
> three computers available to run FreeBSD on. The box of choice is
> rather new. The Pentium ll Processor to AGP Controller is Intel
> 82443BX as is the Pentium ll Processor to PCI bridge.
>
> My question is, Is this too new for FreeBSD 3.2 which came with the
> book?

I doubt it. Where things fall down are in the sound cards and modems.
You can't have a winmodem and make any of *nix's work. Some of the
sound cards can be a problem. I don't have a sound card in my FreeBSD
system and haven't fought that battle. I have a Celeron 433 in a Asus
F2B-B motherboard with a 128MB of memory. The PII and etc. is old
technology. You can look in the root directory of the CDROM and see
what hardware is supported. There are a number of text files that
cover hardware and installation.

There are some video cards that aren't supported by XFree86 but they
work in the text mode with FreeBSD just fine. I think 3.2 used XFree86
3.3.3 and it is up to 3.3.5.

FreeBSD 3.2 installed on my system just fine. I did the novice install
and told the installation program what I wanted installed. When it
finished everything worked. I replaced the slow CDROM after that
because it took so long.

Check your hardware against the list and then check out the tutorial
information on the CDROM and http://www.freebsd.org. You can't have
too much information but starting an install with insufficient
information can be rough.

Good luck,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

SETI(Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) @ HOME
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html