Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2002 21:43:05 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <Harald.Schmalzbauer@wearix.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Elsa QuickStep/Microlink PCI

On 6 Mar 2002, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> does anybody know if the Elsa PCI Card requires 5V on the PCI bus?
> I want to use it in an embedded system which has only 3,3V.

If you mean this one, no - it's a pure 5V PCI card. (I have no idea why
the text says SCSI, it's definitely an ISDN card!):

isic0@pci0:17:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x10001048 chip=0x10001048
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ELSA GmbH'
    device   = 'QuickStep 1000 PCI to SCSI Bridge'
    class    = network

In general, if you really need a card that uses only 3V3 power, I think
you are out of luck - all the cards I have looked at need 5V for driving
the line.

However, you actually meant that you need a card for a "3V3 PCI slot",
that's a different matter altogether (a "3V3 PCI slot" uses 3V3 signalling
levels, but still has all the normal power supplies).

I have found two PCI cards that will go in a 3V PCI slot (both
dual-voltage cards, since the majority of PCs have 5V slots and so there's
no market for 3V-only cards).

One is the AVM Fritz!Card PCI version 2  (version 1 is 5V-only), now
supported by the ifpi2 driver.

The other is the ASUS ISDNLink 128K - again, this comes in various
different versions, and only the more recent version (P-IN-ST-D2) is
dual-voltage.  This has the Cologne Chip Design chipset, so might
theoretically be supported by the ihfc driver, but last time I checked
there was no PCI attach code in the ihfc driver, so it is not currently
supported.