Date:      Fri,  4 Mar 2005 10:48:31 +0100
From:      hb4j@free.fr
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   help needed on configuring rl0 on medion laptops

hi everyone,

I am a very enthusiastic FreeBSD newbie (I have wanted to use FreeBSD for years,
but thanks to the latest Freesbie 1.1 which is awesome, I have finally made the
step).

I have a good knowledge of linux administration, both system and network and am
presently learning the correspondances with FreeBSD line commands.

So, here is my problem for which I would need your help :

on my laptop (medion 1GHz mobile, with a realtech 8129/8139 network card), my
network card is detected and recognized as what it is but, whether I use
sysinstall and its network config wizard or dhclient or assign manually a
network address with netmask and so on (ifconfig inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and the route also manually, it never changes (whether
rebooted in between or not), but says my ip is 0.0.0.0 and dhclient complains
that it cannot find any dhcp server although, on another computer with the very
same network cable and networkplug on the wall, it has no problem whatsoever

here is the error message I get :
"rl0 watchdog timeout"

furthermore, when i boot under linux, it works perfectly fine ...

would there be a need to load another driver (modprobe under linux but i don't
know
the equivalent under FreeBSD)

thanks in advance for your help

hb4j