Date:      Wed, 14 May 1997 12:12:37 +1000
From:      Peter Champas <ingold@besys.net.au>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Enhanced IDE 2nd controler not being recognized.

Hiya All.

Hope someone can help me out. I have installed a new VL-IDE controler that
is supose to support 4 drives. I just put in my 3rd drive and did the
following.

Put the third drive in as a master on the second ide controler port on the
card.
the card is a:
- Holtek HT-6560B VL-Bus IDE Controller/Adapter

I then booted off a dos disk with the controlers utilites to check
to see if it recognised the 3rd drive and it did.

I re-booted freebsd and modified the kernel to the following.
controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1

and recompiled it :)

but when I re-boot after freebsd does not find the second controler.
- May 14 04:16:51 router /kernel: wdc1 not found at 0x170

I am running version 2.1.6

The hardware specs on the cards docs say the second IDE controler is at 0x170

My Bios only recognises the first two drives, but I am told that dosn't
matter.

Can anyone help me.?

cya
   /*\     Life is a challange.. Just ask your local ISP    /*\
  /* *\               ingold@besys.net.au                  /* *\
 o-----o-------- http://www.besys.net.au/~ingold --------o------o