Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 09:52:46 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Jenkins <mjenkins@carp.gbr.epa.gov>
To:        willow@tds.edu
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpdump

> Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 13:27:37 -0500 (EST)
> From: Willow  <willow@tds.edu>
>
> when trying to run tcmpdump as root I get the following:
>
> tcpdump: /dev/bpf0: Device not configured
>
> Any ideas why?

As everyone said, add the "bpfilter" line to a config file,
rebuild the new kernel with this new config file,
install the new kernel as /kernel (make install),
and, lastly, reboot your system to start the new kernel!
See "Configuring the FreeBSD Kernel" in the Handbook for more info.
(Ahhh, a new FreeBSD homepage, nice.)

This is a FAQ but I don't see it in the FreeBSD FAQ.
Can someone add it?

Mike