Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 10:15:32 -0500
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        "David Smithson" <david@customfilmeffects.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: defragment UFS

When Windows is reporting size vs size on disk, it's reporting the
difference between the actual size of the files and the amount of space
allocated to the file.  There's a minimum amount of space that can be
allocated on a FAT filesystem (which depends on several factors).  E.g. if
the cluster size is 32KB, and you save a file that's only 8KB, it still
takes up 32KB "on disk".  This is generally called "slack" space.

Couple this with the high fragmentation rate of FAT/NTFS filesystems and you
end up with alot of space being allocated to files that isn't actually used.

What you are seeing in the properties box when viewing a SAMBA share is pure
fiction.  Your 2k box believes it is looking at an NTFS filesystem (not ufs)
so it also assumes the same cluster size, and the same issues with slack
space.

Long story short, the actual size should be accurate, and the "size on disk"
is fiction, just ignore it.

--
Chris

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we
are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
--Theodore Roosevelt