Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 20:08:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory leak in getservbyXXX?

> > Yes, we could have the government allow certain large
> > corporations to market and sell these lethal products, even
> > though the gov't knows that they are lethal.  The gov't could
> > even make tax money from these things, which we could call
> > cigarettes.
>
> 3 Problems:
>
> 1. Not fast enough.
>
> 2. Not dangerous enough (dangerous, yes, but not as dangerous as
>    a brick of C4 plastic explosive or a Johnny Home Nerve Gas
>    Experimenter's kit).

I wouldn't bet on that.  50% of smokers die from it.

> 3. Not nearly interesting enough to the onlookers.  If folks are going
>    to off themselves, they might as well put some effort into making
>    it both spectacular and entertaining for any potential television
>    audience.

4. Too habit forming, so it can catch people everywhere on the scale.

I know a lot of smart people that smoke; personally, I regularly throw
the habit off and then tend to re-acquire it.  Yeah, I know it is
dangerous.  But one cigarette isn't dangerous; even one a day is
mostly harmless.  And you always feel like you can control it, thus
making is SO easy to take "just one cigarette" when you've been
drinking.  Whomever hasn't tried it is hereby advised never to do so.

Eivind.