Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2011 00:14:30 -0800
From:      David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
To:        perryh@pluto.rain.com
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: epson printers on amd64

On Sunday 20 November 2011 01:55:18 perryh@pluto.rain.com wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 19 Nov 2011, David Southwell wrote:
> > > Anyone up to date on how to do high quality printing with
> > > epson inkjet printers (in my case r2400 and r2880) on amd64
> > > systems.  print/pips* reports they require 386 and do not
> > > compile on amd64.
> >
> > print/gimp-gutenprint works pretty well from Gimp, although
> > I have not figured out how to get consistent color and brightness.
> > It supports both of those printers.
>
> I'm sure I'm not alone in doubting that _any_ ink-spitter is likely to
> produce "high quality printing" or "consistent color and brightness",
> regardless of the host support used.  Those printers are designed to
> be manufactured as inexpensively as possible so as to be sold at very
> low prices, the profit being in the recurring ink sales.  "Cheap" and
> "high quality" tend to be incompatible design goals.

Not so with epson 2400 and 2880 when properly profiled these professional
printers produce salon quality prints and are not in any way comparable with
inexpensive consumer "inkspitter" models - I think you are right as far as
more economically priced printers are concerned. I have many prints produced
on epson 2400, 2880 & larger epson printers accepted into international salons
and received awards. So do make sure you know what you are ta;lking about and
do not put all inkjet printers into an "inkspitter" category! You cannot
however produce goood prints without profiling.

> BTW, to the OP:  a single posting, to a single list, would have been
> sufficient.  I saw 4 postings of the same (or nearly the same) question,
> spread over 2 lists.

It was intentionally posted to the two relevant list - ports and emulation.
Unfortunately the emulation list initially bounced the first post two attempts
but then their server accepted them as well as the third - possibly a soft
bounce interpreted as a hard or a hard bounce return instead of a soft.
David