Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 12:31:59 -0600 (CST)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

> > Do you want a library instead of just calling the zip/unzip utils and
> > parsing the output?  Although I think the latter would be much slower,
> > it would avoid you having to GPL your package tools, and avoid
> > 'Yet-Another' GPL utility in the tree.
>
> That wouldn't save us anyway since we'd still need at least unzip in
> the tree.  I figure if we're going to bring something like zip/unzip
> in, we might as well try to add some value to it.  A library API to
> zip would be useful for a lot of things, I think.
>
> > Also, what kind of API would you like to see?  You are the most familiar
> > with the package tools, so if you write up a quick 'this is what I'd
> > like to see API' then it would be easier for someone to know what is
> > expected.
>
> OK.  I will do precisely that!

jordan, hold yer hat!

i did that several years ago...  i hacked up the hacked up version of info-zip
library routines that were used in the early pgp packages.  this is plain and
simple, as i remember, just a zip and unzip c-callable.  it may need some more
hacking, as i ported it for turbo-c, and added hooks for a bar-graph style
realtime status display [worth keeping], it worked great in my programs..

if i remember right, the zip returns the compressed size of the file for the
percentage calculations.

gimme a day or so to dig it up, it may be on an old tape, and i hope it isn't
flakey [or flaked]..

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or