Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 01:00:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        David Mateer <dmateer@utopia.gateweb.co.uk>
Cc:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel config advice!!!

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, David Mateer wrote:

> hi,
>
> ive installed FreeBSD 2.2-gamma (feb release) on my pentium pro 150.
> i have everything detected by the kernel - 2 ide hard drives, ps2, 2
> serials, parallel, soundblaster16, joystickport, etc....
>
> however, i cant get my mitsumi 12x cdrom detected.  its not on my
> secondard ide controller as the bios wouldnt detect it (the primary
> ide controller already has 2 ide hard drives on it - both detected
> ok).  Instead, it is on the soundblaster 16 IDE port on my CL
> soundblaster card.  windows 95 detects it ok with the drivers i got
> with my soundcard.  however, freebsd wont detect it.

The best place, unfortunately, is to put the CD in the slave position on
the primary controller, or alone on the secondary controller.

It's been suggested to me to move your disk to the secondary
controller and make the following modification to your
kernel config.  This will cause the least amount of fuss and should get
your cd working.

controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x80ff80ff
vector wdintr   # one line
disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0

controller     wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk           wd1     at wdc1 drive 0
disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 1

kernel  root on wd1

What this does is reassign the master disk on the secondary controller
device wd1, which your slave disk is now.  Of course, make & install the
kernel, then do the move, then restart.

You may have to start the system using a boot floppy to get it booted;
type

wd(2,a)/kernel

to start it.  Hopefully you won't get the 'can't mount root' message when
the kernel figures out what's going on.

Hope this helps.