Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:43:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: GNU binutils port

> ...this is exactly why I use -Wall for my code, and follow similar
> conventions.  However, not everyone does.  Pointing at a (large)
> piece of software that generates a spastic number of warnings with
> -Wall and saying "this software is broken" isn't terribly valid.

No, no, Mike, you're still not grasping the essential point - it's
*totally* valid to say this, just as it's a totally valid response to
say: "By Jeves, you're right!  Damn good eyes, man!  Erm, be a good
chap and send us the diffs once you've fixed this, won't you?  A nasty
business, we'll agree, and why if we didn't all have carpal-tunnel
syndrome over here we'd certainly be right in there helping you, you
can be most assured of that.  Duffy used to be right on things like
this, he was, but then there was his war wound and that unpleasant
business with the gophers and the high explosive, and I myself just
can't seem to move as fast as I once could given that ... [insert 4
pages of boilerplate text listing various physical ailments, both real
and imagined]."

You'll either get a fix or the complainer will never mention the
matter again - either way, it's a win! :-)

> Having said that, I seem to remember that one of the oldest comments
> in the 'things for newcomers to do' file has been "make the
> kernel compile cleanly with -Wall" 8)

Yeah, and I was wondering why the supply of newcomers seemed to be
drying up so! :)

 						Jordan

P.S. Actually, to be truly factual, the number of volunteers has been
steadily increasing as of late!  We've rarely had it so good.