Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 95 16:32:00 W
From:      Angelo Turetta <turetta@trust.stylo.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No Thumbs??? (lack of concensus)

>From: Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
>It seems that Michael Smith said:
>> To answer the original question; a 60W switching supply will run a single
>> 30W 5.25" drive.  It will _not_ run two of them, although it might look
>> like it will for a while.
>
>Fine.  But I suspect it *would* run two 15W drives -- though the question
of
>sequencing spindles might still be an issue at startup!  Correct?

My server is equipped with 1542CFs and has 4 disks > 1GB. I'm really
enjoying a nice feature called 'Send start unit' I've found on the 1542
BIOS: my disks are configured for waiting for the 'start unit' SCSI command
before turning motors on, and the controller sends the command in sequence
to all the drives. Is this option unavailable to more high-tech SCSI
adapters, like the various PCI I'm hearing of (with a bit of envy :-) now
and then???

And, in case you disable the BIOS o disagree using it's options: is it a
 workable option trying to send start unit commands from the driver itself ?

Angelo Turetta
SysAdmin - Stylo Multimedia - ITALY
<aturetta@stylo.it>