Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:54:24 +0000
From:      Sergey Lyubka <devnull@asitatech.ie>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

Lions wrote a book far long ago, and it is still worth reading.
Why?
Because he didn't just show the code, he showed the concepts.

Describing, say, how to call malloc() is a stupid thing. This can
be outdated tomorrow.
But describing the concept, how kernel malloc interface has being
developed in time, and possible future directions of it - this kind
of information will not be outdated for a very long time.

A lot of such information is buried now in relatively small number
of kernel expert's heads. This is bad.

Is it possible to get frosen version, say, 5.0 - current,
and describe it? I think it is. Many things may become obsolete,
but the knowledge I'm talking about will be revealed. Such book
must paint a solid and complete picture of FreeBSD kernel.
I see it as analogue to Greg Lehey's book, but for the kernel world.

As a side effect, it will attract and educate a large number of
newbie kernel hackers, which is I suppose quite positive.

regards,
-sergey