Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2007 07:50:15 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnome-screensaver fails since recent update

--==_Exmh_1171036215_27674P

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 23:24:14 -0500
>
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 10:00 -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > gnome-screensaver is behaving rather badly. I'm running with two display
> > in xinerama mode. I don't know whether this started when 2.16.3 came out
> > or when xorg-server was last updated, but I think it started doing this
> > last week. I have been on travel this week, so I really didn't get a
> > chance to look at it until today.
> >
> > When gnome-screensaver is activated, stderr gets:
> > The program 'gnome-screensaver' received an X Window System error.
> > This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> > The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
> >   (Details: serial 8169 error_code 2 request_code 78 minor_code 0)
> >   (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
> >    that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
> >    To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
> >    option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
> >    backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() functio> n.)
> >
> > (gnome-screensaver-command:56091): gnome-screensaver-WARNING **: org.free> desktop.DBus.Error.NoReply raised:
> >  Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
> >
> > >From that point my "primary" screen is black and I have been unable to
> > get to back to life without restarting and Gnome.
> >
> > Interestingly, the screen is still "on" and I can see the cursor. If I
> > can locate a window, I can drag it to my "secondary" screen, which is
> > still working.
>
> g-s still works for me, and you're the only one to complain.  These type
> of X errors may be driver-related.  If you use the nVidia driver, make
> sure you force an upgrade everytime you upgrade your xorg-libraries
> and/or xorg-server ports.

Yeah, I thought of that last evening after going home for the
night. (And after rolling back gnome-screensaver, xorg-libraries, and
xorg-server.

I re-installed the nvidia-driver port, but could not test it until I got
in this morning. Works like a charm.

Thanks!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer