Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:11:45 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "Trent Waddington" <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Stallman stalls again

Oh, I did get that point, but what I'm missing is how does proprietary code
taking advantage of GPL code constitute an undermining of the goals of
GPL?  The GPL license bars mixing GPL into a commercial product unless you
open your code up, so that hole is closed, and as far as proprietary
products and code taking advantage of GCC itself, that's par for the
course.  The entire reason that GCC got kickstarted to begin with is that
Sun unbundled their compiler, and people who were tired of paying Sun
$5K for the UNIX system, and didn't want to pay another $5K for the
compiler, decided to take a look at this GCC stuff.  I'm sure that there's
hundreds of commercial UNIX products for sale today that were compiled
with GCC.

I mean, I suppose that's what he's complaining about, but it seems so
bass ackwards that it's unbelievable.  If the commercial UNIX software
community hadn't put effort into using and putting feedback into Stallman's
code in the beginning, GCC would be just another failed research project
in an archive somewhere, and Stallman just a speck on the wall.  Is he
really bitching about the very people that put him where he is
and made him what he is today?

> > Java's just another tool, nowhere near as popular as C.  It's
> getting close
> > to peaking anyway, in 10 years it's going to be in just another of those
> > cubbyholes that Perl, Sed, Awk, PHP, HTML and all the rest of
> them are in.
>
> Java's primary value is as a cross-platform API.  Eventually,
> with the notable exception of bytecode rendered to run on a
> handful of proprietary processors, it will all be compiled
> code.
>
> I keep meaning to write a science fiction novel predicated on
> the idea that everything standardizes to a single instruction
> set, and then someone comes up with a new processor instruction
> set, and uses it in the context of a crime.  One of the hero's
> helpers (the moral equivalent of Perry Mason's Paul Drake) has
> to decode the instruction set to figure out what it means.  8-).

F00F  :-)