Date:      1 Sep 1995 03:52:03 +0800
From:      peter@haywire.dialix.com (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape - uname() error

nate@rocky.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams) writes:

>> I know this question may have already been asked before but please bear
>> with me!
>>
>> Has anyone figured out how to resolve the Netscape error message:
>>
>> netscape: uname() failed, can't tell what system your running on.

>Yes, ignore the error.  It's a problem with Netscape's binary as this
>exact error message is seen on *all* BSD versions.

Fixed in -current, and I think I saw it go into 2.1-stable, but I am
not sure.

The Netscape executable was compiled on BSDI's BSD/386-1.1, which has
some.. ahem.. "interesting" non-standard extensions to their kernel
that their uname() function uses.  None of the other BSD's provided
it, including BSD/OS-2.0.  BSDI provided a patch for BSD/OS, I did it
for FreeBSD based on an email description of their interface.

>> btw, has anyone experienced blurred or cut-off text when using
>> Netscape?

>Nope.

Sounds like font scaling... :-(

>Nate