Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:35:36 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        proff@suburbia.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLAB stuff, and applications to current net code (fwd)

>On Sun, 26 Jan 1997 proff@suburbia.net wrote:
>
>> Can anyone inform me what a SLAB allocator is, and if so, would freebsd
>> benefit from one?
>>

>It's a chunk of memory that you put multiple kernel objects of the same
>type into.  We have a modified mach zone allocator.  They're both type
>stable memory allocators.

   The memory allocator in BSD is *not* type-stable.

>Maybe John or David will explain how our allocator differs from the
>original zone allocator in 4.4BSD borrowed from Mach.

   There isn't a lot of difference. Just some performance improvements.

>I not sure how much benefit the SLAB allocator would offer over what we
>have.  There's some extra overhead in maintaining a SLAB.
>
>BTW, SLAB is used in Solaris.

   The allocator in BSD is designed to be as fast as possible and trades
space efficiency for performance. I'm very skeptical that a SLAB allocator
would be any faster than the current allocation algorithm, although it
would likely be more space efficient.

-DG

David Greenman