Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:02:02 +0200
From:      lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
To:        Steve <sprasadi@addr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: plain text passwords

On Friday, 2002-07-12 at 11:49:51 +0530, Steve wrote:

> I need to have plain text passwords in /etc/passwd. How can I get it? I
> need this for password protecting a web directory using /etc/passwd

Which webserver/authentication module uses /etc/passwd for
authentication? I think you should use one that allows
  1) hashed passwords
  2) in a different location
like Apache with mod_auth does for Basic Authentication.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| I have challenged the entire ISO-9000 quality assurance team to a      |