Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:28:54 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, Yevhen Miroshnychenko <miroshny@cip.physik.uni-bonn.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-Window on computer with 170MB HDD

Dutch dithered,
> On Sat, 13 Jan 1990, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> >   I have a computer with i486SX ,18MB RAM and 170MB HDD. Is it possible to install FreeBSD with
> >   X-Window on such a system and ecpect a "normal" work at lest with Netscape?

> >   I think you are in one of those areas where doing what you want to do might be theoretically possible, but probably would require a lot of tweaking to get it to work.  The avalilability of cheap hardware makes it unlikely that too many people have tried to do what you want to do.  (For example, I bought a 15gig drive the other day for $99.99)  Considering that it might take 6 or 7 (or more) tries to get your system installed in that 170 meg drive (if it is possible at all)  you might be able to find a larger drive (another 300-400megs would be just fine.)

> I would not try it. You will not get "normal" anything. I did a 3.2-R
> install from CD to a 500m disk on a 486dx2/100 32meg of ram. I was not
> happy with x with KDE. I think using KDE was a bad idea on that
> machine. Personally I would do a minium size install without x on a
> 170meg drive. But, there are small footprint o/s, picobsd I think.

I'm not sure about FreeBSD, but it can certainly be done with some
older *nixes.  I successfully installed Debian .9 and 1.1
(archives.debian.org, I think) on a 486 with 8mb and two 80mb drives.
X ran fine, and Netscape 3 worked.  I wouldn't bother with any later
version on a 486 . . . also, this left me enough room (barely) to
complie a kernel.

I also had netbsd (1.2? 1.1?) running on a Mac IIci with a pair of
80mb drives, with X and netscape 3.

So it can be done, but you'll probably need an older distribution to do
it.

hawk