Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 17:38:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        shamrock@cypherpunks.to
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Putting gbde to use: changes to fstab(5)?

In article <20030506212133$0c75@grapevine.lcs.mit.edu> you write:

>I just happen to need a determination on a config file format
>for gbde devices, because I would like to both deploy and contribute
>back gbde automation tools.

I think the right answer is as follows:

In the `fstype' field, if the value begins with a special character
(TBD), the program indicated there will be run with the following
arguments:

- type of operation (mount, unmount, dump, swap, anything else?)
- name of underlying device
- mount point
- mount flags

It shall generate on standard output an fstab line which is to be
interpreted in place of the original entry.

This allows for maximum flexibility: you can have it construct
arbitrarily GEOM topologies, prompt for any passwords as may seem
necessary, even automatically inspect the media and choose an
appropriate filesystem type.

-GAWollman