Date:      Mon,  4 Oct 1999 09:19:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ddr@gwis.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   misc/14121: resurfaced bug in rmt preventing remote dumps

This email was sent to questions@ a short time ago:

==========BEGIN===========This one just to make you know that the problem for I asked a solution in my previous message has been solved by applying a patch to rshd. It was a small bug (7381) in the rshd.c version of 2.2.7-RELEASE (I'm running that version on my target server). If someone has the same problem: search the bugs mailing for 7381 and you'll find the simple patch.

>  I'm currently using NFS and tar to backup 3 FreeBSD servers on the DAT tape >drive of a fourth server. I'd like to switch to dump/rdump, but when I try to >issue a dump -f command, it stops after the connection and analysis of the >local filesystem with a "protocol to remote tape server botched (code "Broken >pipe")" error:
>
>How-To-Repeat:
Backing up a BSDI 2.1 machine to FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE via rdump.
>Fix:
Find the previous problem ticket for more information.. I can not locate it in GNATS.

>Release-Note:
>Audit-Trail:
>Unformatted:
 >local# dump -f remote:/dev/rst0 /var
 >  DUMP: Connection to remote established.
 >  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Mon Feb 22 14:56:06 1999
 >  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
 >  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rda0s2f (/var) to /dev/rst0 on host remote
 >  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
 >  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
 >  DUMP: estimated 13026 tape blocks on 0.33 tape(s).
 >  DUMP: Protocol to remote tape server botched (code "Broken pipe").
 >  DUMP: Lost connection to remote host.
 >
 >  The local machine is in the root's .rhosts file of the remote machine
 and >rshd isn't commented out in the remote's /etc/inetd.conf. Of course
 dump works >well locally.=============END==============

 I experienced this same problem, backing a BSDI 2.1 machine to the FreeBSD server when I was running 2.2.7.. it went away when I upgraded, but now that I've installed 3.3-RELEASE, the problem is back.  Could you please check to see if this was re-broken?