Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:59:00 -0600
From:      "Singh, Hardeep           IN" <singhh@delpo1.in.unisys.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Network Printer Configuration

I am a software engg at Tata Infotech Ltd. I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.7
Version on my P.C with X Free 3.3.2.3 along with it.
All my peripherals are working fine.Now I am trying to configure printer on
my P.C. Incidently the printer available is a network printer from HP(
Model: HP 4000 TN PS ).It is network printer working on TCP/IP and has got
its own network card and a unique I.P address

                                     It appears to me that it has LPD card
also because from NT 4.0 server i was able to configure the printer
absolutely fine by specifying the port to be of type LPR(by adding Microsoft
TCP/IP printing services to my NT Server).
                     During my kernel configuration I did not specify any
parallel ports or serial ports because i never intended to use a printer
directly attached to my P.C.
		Now while configuring this HP printer i made following
changes to my /etc/printcap file

 lp | hp | laserjet | Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4000 TN PS :\
   :lp=:\
   :rm=hp4000tn:\
   :rp=hp4000tn:\
   :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs
   :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4000tn

I have made directories as shown and given proper permissions to daemon
e.t.c
I have made an entry in my /etc/hosts file to indiacate that hp4000tn
corresponds to 163.122.21.245 i.e the network printer address
and i am able to ping hp4000tn.
The printer still does not  seem  to work.I am using no filters at present.

Observations:
1.When i start lpd daemon it indiates lpd started in log file but when i do
ps i do not find the deamon process.
2. When I use lpr command and give start lp it says unknown printer lp
2.When I use lpc command as follows

lpc>start   lp
lpc>unknown printer lp
lpc>start all
 lp:
     printing enabled
    ..... daemon stated      /* It seems to try to start deamon as it takes
some time for this message to appear*/
lpc>status
    Queuing Enabled
    Printing Enabled
    Printer Idle
    No Entries
lpc>quit
#ps | grep lpd
#

Please suggest me changes i need to make in my config.
Hoping that you shall have time to spare to scan thru my request.

Thanks & Regards
Hardeep Singh
singhh@delpo1.in.unisys.com