Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 19:07:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: threading and performance

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

>yes, right now only one thread of execution can be active in
>the kernel at any given time, this is going to change RSN.
>
>This really has very little to do with pthreads though.

-jonathon

RSN - Real Soon Now?

Also, wouldn't this create bottlenecks when different processes have to
wait for a single kernel thread to finish?  I think Solaris has
multithreaded kernel support, IIRC.  I just find it so interesting that
FBSD multitasks and context switches so efficiently and smoothly, and
handles such heavy loads, yet the kernel is only single  threaded.  I just
wondered how that was possible.  It's certainly a credit to the developers
!  Frankly, if it works so well, you have to wonder if stability will be
lost finding bugs in the new version if it has multi-threaded kernel
support.  He, you can't make an omlette w/o breaking some eggs, right?