Date:      Tue, 08 Mar 2005 00:19:50 +0200
From:      Kiraly Zoltan <yo2lux@metawire.org>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.3 with Gnome work slow

I have an Intel Pentium III, 500MHz and 256MB Ram PC. I want to use this
PC as FreeBSD desktop but FreeBSD 5.3 work slow with "gnome" and "xfce".

FreeBSD 5.3 use 187MB of 256MB Ram with Gnome 2.8, and Fedora Linux use
100MB of 256MB with Gnome 2.8.

This is my process list when Gnome run on FreeBSD 5.3 :

Name and Used memory

-------------------------------

gconfd-2 - 6.8 MB
clock-applet - 2.0 MB
nautilus - 4.0 MB
gnome-pannel - 3.3 MB
gnome-system-monitor - 3.0MB
metacity - 2.3 MB
gnome-setting-daem - 1.5 MB
sendmail - 1.1 MB
mixer_applet2 - 1.1 MB
Xorg - 11.5 MB
gnome-session - 2.5 MB

I have more process not listed here but not use more than 1 MB. I see
xorg eat much -> 11.5 MB

Anyone have an idea, what need to do to decrease memory usage in freebsd
? i want to work fast in FreeBSD because i see Fedora Linux work fast
and i think my configuration is enough for Gnome or Xfce.

I want to choose FreeBSD as desktop solution because i like BSD better
than Linux.

Any idea to solve this problem ? i want to increase speed in FreeBSD

Thank you very much !