Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 00:14:04 +0200
From:      Alex Popa <razor@ldc.ro>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rate-limiting OPEN port RST response?

Is there such a limitation active by default?  I am seeing the following
message:
Limiting open port RST response from 337 to 200 packets per second
on my home machine, connected through a 14k modem to the net.  I also
have net.inet.{tcp,udp}.log_in_vain enabled, and have seen no messages
from these facilities.

Could these messages be caused by an external source? I believe the link
is too slow to produce 300+ SYNs per second.  At the time I was also
running Opera 6 for Linux, and Netscape, so there is a small possibility
that one of these is trying to connect too often to the squid I run.

Opinions?