Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2006 22:08:48 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Locking Issue

> with the bge driver ... could we be possibly talking internet vs nfs
> issues?

Pursuing invetigations, i have discovered that for people having
workstations whose home directories are on a NFS server, and who run
Gnome or KDE, there is a program which has horrible NFS behavior,
it is gam_server from gamin, which detects alterations on your .kde
for example. On my machine running nfsstat -c -w 1 i see 4000 requests/s
due to that. If i displace it (*) and kill it, this drops to 80 requests/s
and KDE works exactly as well, including discovering new files.
I think it is not necessary to comment on the performance penalty if a number
of stations send 4000r/s to a server, it will soon be killed.
(*) it restarts itself automatically so it is necessary to displace or rename
it before killing.

--

Michel TALON