Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:22:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        neubyneu@twcny.rr.com (Michael P. Neuman)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More DNS stuff

Michael P. Neuman wrote,
>     Currently in my DNS records, I have set up CNAMEs for www, ftp, and a
> few others.  I want www to strictly be used for the http protocol and ftp
> for ftp protocols.  For example, I don't want people to be able to type in
> http://ftp.cmsnet.net and have it take them to my web site.  I want them to
> be able to get to the site only by http://www.cmsnet.net .  How would I go
> about doing this??  Thank you again.

Give www, ftp, and the others each a different IP address and then
have your DNS records point appropriately.

If all of the names refer to the same IP address, the names all are
pointing to the same place, and there is no way for your machine to
figure out which name someone attempting to connect actually used.

Once you have separate IPs for each, only allow the servers to respond
to requests at the appropriate IPs. If the servers are not smart
enough to handle that, you may need to run a simple firewall to divert
attempts to connect to invalid ports of a given IP addr.

IMHO, it's a lot of work and the payoff is a tiny bit of asthetic
appeal. Is there any practical reason you want to do this? Wanna make
people think you have more machines than you actually do? ;)