Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:17:35 -0800
From:      leonardc9@usa.net (Leonard Chung)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   240->120 voltage converters safe?

I realize that this is a bit off topic here, but I'm not too sure exactly
where to send this question and this list seems to have a higher "guru
factor" than any other lists that I'm aware of.  With that said...

I'm taking a laptop over to China along with a scanner and a zip drive.
The AC Adapters that came with both of them only operate at 120 volts
although I can buy an international AC adapter from each company for around
$50.  For that price, I can get a pretty heavy duty 200 volt step down
converter from Radio Shack that is supposed to be acceptable for electronic
equipment.  Is it ok for me to get the voltage converter, plug a good surge
protector into it and then plug the scanner and zip drive into the surge
protector, or should I shell out the $100+ for the international adapters?

Leonard

--
Leonard Chung <Leonardc9@usa.net>
Support the Blue Ribbon Campaign for free speech online        ()