Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:15:29 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Johnny B ." <syborg@stny.rr.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: afs or arla client info

At 1:45 PM -0500 3/15/02, Johnny B . wrote:
>Hello All
>
>I've been poking around in the mailing list archives for
>answers but I'm still not clear on this: has anybody been
>able to use an AFS client on FreeBSD? arla/openafs/whatever.

If you are familiar with the ports system, there is a port
for net/arla.  It might work on freebsd-stable, it does not
work on -current.  I am trying to pick up some work done
by others, and see if I can get a newer version of arla
working on freebsd-current (and maybe freebsd-stable too).

I am also keenly interested in OpenAFS for freebsd.  There
is *some* work going on at www.openafs.org for a freebsd
port, but it does not have as many people working on it
as openafs for some other platforms.  I am also going to
look into that work, as I get time.

Obviously you would only need *one* of openafs or arla!
I'm looking at arla because it is closer to working, and
then I'll look at openafs because that would be an easier
sell to various people here at RPI.  (OpenAFS is something
of a known quantity here at RPI, while ARLA is not
currently used).