Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 16:00:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   new loader question / module question

  I was working on a module and need to be able to pass parameters to the
module (preferably without having to compile them in). I noticed that the
splash module does this (sort of) by having you load the image to display
and specifying a "tag" for it so that the module can scan for the tag and
find the image. I need to be able to pass more than a single configuration
option though. I am considering putting all of the configuration options
into a single config file, having that loaded into memory by the boot
loader (much the way the splash module loads it's image) and then when the
module loads it can scan memory for the configuration information and
parse it. Is there a better way?

  Also, it got me thinking? Is there a way to "through away" the
informaiton after I'm done with it. For example, in the splash module,
once you load the image into memory, it's stuck there forever (ie. the
"feature" that you can re-use it as a screen saver because it is still
in memory). I was under the impression that we don't page kernel memory
and thus the image is wired into RAM all the time (it will never be
paged). Please tell me I'm wrong...because if not, doesn't this seem like
a Bad Thing?

  Thanks for all of your help! By the way? Is anyone working on improving
the splash module. With all the examining I've been doing of it recently,
I would like to add the ability for it to scale the image to fit the
screen size (rather than die of rimages which are too large). I was also
thinking about adding XPM support so I don't have to use Windows BMP
files :) anyway, those  are just a couple of the ideas I thought I could
implement to improve it, but I don't want to mess with it if someone else
is already working on it.

  Thanks again!

 ~kbyanc@alcnet.com~
 "Silly penguin, Linux is for kids"