Date:      Tue, 2 May 95 13:05:31 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        vazquez@iqm.unicamp.br (Pedro A M Vazquez)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: smbmount

> 	Does someone ported smbmount to freebsd2.x?
> 	I compiled it using samba-1.9.13 after several litle modifications
> but it is not working.

It requires a kernel piece; in reality, it is a terrible piece of
file system coding for a remote file system, since the transport
is stateful.

The only comparable code I've seen is the RFS and NUCFS sources in
SVR4.  Nobody uses RFS any more, and the NUCFS (NetWare client) is
ghastly.

It's not terrifically awful to port to the BSD VFS environment, but
it's not terrifically worth it either, since the GPL on it will keep
it from being distributed as part of the kernel.  Since it's GPL
and not LGPL, it's not even legally loadable as a loadable module.

Eventually, I will get around to writing a multiclient multi-requestor
based version, or the cleanest way would be to stuff it in user space
like AMD and use the hlfs or compressing fs or user space NFS client
sources to reimplement it -- this would reolve about 2/3rds of the
design problems off the bat.

My code on this could be several years off unless I suddenly win the
lottery or something (unlikely, with me not buying entries).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.