Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:53:53 -0600
From:      Craig Boston <craig@tobuj.gank.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Divacky Roman <xdivac02@stud.fit.vutbr.cz>
Subject:   Re: organization

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 01:25:19PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> Well, someone's part-way there with a Subversion mirror of src/.  From
> http://www.freebsd.org/support.html:
>
> A public Subversion mirror of the FreeBSD src/ CVS repository is
> provided at svn://svn.clkao.org/freebsd/.

Ah, yes, I do remember Chia-liang Kao was working on a CVS <->
Subversion bridge for use with svk.  The ability to do incremental
updates, even if it's only one-way, is a big win on both sides of the
fence.

> This of course doesn't include ports/ or doc/, so it doesn't really
> answer the scalability question.

Most of what I ran into was just in src/.  I hesitate to say anything
since it's been a long time and my memory is vague.  ISTR a few simple
operations on a file at the top level were causing the entire tree to be
traversed.  Unfortunately I don't remember exactly -- maybe it's time to
test it again...

One issue I do remember had to more do with apache and davsvn rather
than subversion itself.  Attempting to cancel a long running operation
(say an accidental svn diff of the whole tree) would kill the frontend
but leave the backend churning away on the server, which would bog down
further requests (locking?), causing them to hang for a while, build up
requests, and make the situation worse.

I use subversion exclusively for my personal projects but none are big
enough that I've run into that problem again.  It may well have been
fixed by now -- the version number has been creeping up while I wasn't
looking :)

> This is dependent (among other things) on the nature of the files in
> the repository and which repository back-end is used.  I did a
> conversion at ${REALJOB} in December where I converted 1.3GB of CVS
> repository to about 1.5GB in Subversion.  For the curious, the
> back-end was FSFS, and an earlier test conversion using the BDB
> back-end took about 2.1GB.  I know this is smaller than the FreeBSD
> repository.

Ah, I haven't played with FSFS yet.  All my repositories are BDB that
have been upgraded and migrated from version 0.something.

Craig