Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 01:48:18 -0500
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        david@banning.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: howto question burncd mkisofs

David Banning (sky_tracker@yahoo.com) wrote:

> I am trying to create an image using mkisofs.
>
> I am attempting to backup /usr/dirone and it's subfiles
> and /usr/dirtwo and it's subfiles.
>
> I issue the command:
>
> mkisofs -o image.iso /usr/dirone /usr/dirtwo
> and then burn it onto the cdrom.
>
> what I *want* on my cdrom is;
>
> $ cd /cdrom
> $ ls
> /dirone /dirtwo
>
> but instead I get all the files below each directory mixed together.
> in other words, I can't get the tops of the directory's copied
> unless I copy /usr - but then I get all other unwanted directories
> under /usr

mkisofs -graft-points -o image.iso dirone/=/usr/dirone dirtwo/=/usr/dirtwo

There are a zillion other important options to include in mkisofs for
accurate reproduction of a UNIX filesystem, most of which violate the
ISO9660 standard. Slog your way through the manpages, or take my word
for it and specify these flags:

-d -N -D -R -L -l -J -T

--
Christopher Farley