Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:49:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   screwed up

Went to mount the cdrom (BTW for the first time in my
life) so I did a dmesg to see what the cdrom device
was.  It was adc0 so I did "mount /dev/acd0 /cdrom"
but did not work, and I noticed that there was no adc0
dev in the /dev directory. I then went into /dev and
did "./MAKEDEV acd0" and silently got the command
prompt back and so assumed all went well, but did not
see acd0 listed in /dev  and a "mount /dev/acd0
/cdrom" once again did not work. I was mounting the
cdrom so I could get a port of Netscape Navigator, and
since I could not mount it, decided to get Netscape
from an ftp site.  I therefore then cd
/usr/ports/www/netscape47-navigator and did a make
install and it printed that it was going to an ftp
site to get it, and then a few more lines came up ,
and then a fatal error occured and the system
rebooted.

Now when I try to boot freebsd I does not make it
through the boot process. Can anyone figure out what
happend, i.e., what I did wrong, and how I can recover
from this without having to reinstall freebsd.

Thanks,

Wayne